Wednesday 17 November 2010

To the Left, To the Left

Not that I profess to be any kind of expert on the city, but my heart's pretty sold on Paris' Left Bank. Less crowds, the Musee d'Orsay, Le bon Marche and the namesake of one of my favourite designer ready-to-wear lines. Like Lanvin, there is something very precious and inner-circle about the Yves Saint Laurant brand. Perhaps it's their lack of overt branding (non monogram, si vous plait!) or the couture history that comes with the label. On a more practical level, my preference was cemented from witnessing the juxtaposition of the tourist hordes that stormed Longchamp and Louis Vuitton with the dignified discernment exhibited at Lanvin and YSL.

This may well be my favourite purchase from Paris. I love that the gold-plated bracelet has the appearance of a chaste charm bracelet; it belies a wink and wit. Discreet enough with a plain black dress at the office party, but also naughty enough for cocktails. What a perfect tribute to the lifelong friendship between Catherine Deneuve and Yves Saint Laurent which sprung from the set (and wardrobe) of that iconic film.

Whilst I try not to play favourites with my jewellery, this will certainly give my YSL necklace (dubbed my 'Funny Face' necklace) a good run for its money. This also means I now have two film-inspired pieces from YSL, which is delightful coincidence and making me adore them even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment